Chocolate Cherry Bombs
1 Devil’s food chocolate cake mix
½ cup or more prepared dark chocolate frosting
1 jar stem-on Maraschino cherries, drained and dried on paper towels
1 lb good quality dark chocolate
1. Prepare cake mix according to directions (mine was 3 eggs + 1/3 cup
oil + 1 cup water), bake 30-35 minutes until it passes the toothpick
2. Once it is cool enough to handle, crumble the whole cake into a large mixing bowl.
3. Stir the frosting into the cake crumbles. Add more if needed,
until the mixture holds together when you scoop Tablespoonfuls and roll
them into balls.
4. Press a cherry into each ball. Enclose the cherry completely with
the cake until only the stem pokes out from the middle of the cake ball.
Roll around in the palms of your hands again to make sure the ball
5. Repeat with all the remaining cake balls and Maraschino cherries.
6. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave at 50%
power, stirring every 30 seconds and removing when there are still a few
pieces of chocolate visible. The residual heat will melt the rest of
the chocolate, so keep stirring until it is smooth.
7. Dip the cake balls in the chocolate, using the cherry stem as a handle.
8. Tap against the sides of the bowl to remove excess.
9. Place on parchment or wax paper until dried.
adapted from Hungry Happenings